Sunday, August 23

What's been missing

The words he said when I was 5. Those weren't words but rather commands. Don't touch the dogs because they're dirty and don't sit too close to the telly.

The words he said when I was 7. Those were the times when even a muffled giggle would get me scolded till I was sobbing uncontrollably. That was when I learnt crying never helped, it only made the scoldings worse.

The words he said the day I turned 10. Those were the words that changed my eating habit. I used to take all the time in the world just to finish a meal, but since the day I turned 10 I was never the last to finish my meal ever again.

The words he said when I was 13. That was the payback I got for talking back and being rude. He confiscated my phone for that one and only time, and I ran into the bathroom and brawled my eyes out.

The words he said when I was 15. Those were the words I earned just by being involved in church and school. I guess he would have preferred to have a child who stays at home rather than one who needed to be fetched around all the time.

The words he said when I was 17. That was when I was questioned to a point where there was no other way to react than to react itself. Perhaps the uncertainty of me not having a place to further my studies was indeed a concern and not a nuisance for him.


Out of all the things above, I have finally realised what I've failed to realise all these years.

Take a wild guess, go on.




The things he'll never say.

No comments: